I have been wanting to learn how to make my own jam for quite some time now and found a recipe that worked for me. As this was my first attempt at making jam, I searched on Allrecipes.com and found this great strawberry jam recipe. Since there are only 3 ingredients to play with, there really was not much elbow room for changing anything. I do love a good simple recipe, but one thing I swapped was the white sugar for organic cane sugar. I also didn’t use a thermometer, I just followed the freezer trick (see below), and it worked great.
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and mashed (I used a potato masher)
- 4 cups organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- After your strawberries are mashed up, pour them into a large soup pot, covering them with all 4 cups of sugar and lemon juice, mix together
- Bring strawberries to a rolling boil
- Boil for 15 minutes and test to see if jam is ready by dropping a spoonful onto a frozen plate, place in freezer for a minute. If it feels like molasses when pushed with finger on the plate, then it’s ready for the jar.
- Make sure your jars are clean and sterile by submerging then in boiling water. Turn off stove and spoon jars out and place on clean towel to dry, then fill hot jars with jam.
- If jars are sterile, then jam will last up to 6 months, if not, then up to a week in the refrigerator
*Makes a little over 3 16 ounce jars